On Saturday we went out to Georgetown where they promised an open air French Market. It wasn't really. There was a mime and a guy on a unicycle with a beret. But mostly it was crowded on very narrow sidewalks (not good for a stroller) and it was rainy. So we left there and ended up exploring Roosevelt Island. It turns out to be my new favorite place in DC. So beautiful and tucked away so as not to be filled to the brim with tourists. Eliza liked it better too since she was allowed out of her stroller and could run around. It was a good day.
Below, Eliza is running up someone's stairs in Georgetown. These houses are so beautiful. Expensive too.
Here are Eliza and I on the bridge going across to Roosevelt Island. That is Georgetown behind us.
This is the monument to Roosevelt. I loved all the plaques and quotes by him.
But here is my favorite work of art! Run Eliza, run!
Nicholas and I really loved this quote. The theme for the Youth this year is: Be Strong and of a Good Courage. Since we are both in Youth callings at the moment, it is on our mind and we thought this went along the same lines as the theme. I especially like that it says that men should be both brave and gentle. I think women need that now as well. Tenderness too. I also like where it says: Courage, Hard Work, Self Mastery, and Intelligent Effort. We need all of that more than ever in this world. Especially Self Mastery.
Nicholas and I have talked a lot about the fact that Eliza has not inherited anything biologically from us but instead will inherit only what we show and teach her. I hope I can teach her well. I hope she learns to think more of others than herself. I hope she is gentle and kind. I hope she learns that it is not about just being "how she is" but learns that she can improve and be who she is meant to be. She already is so wonderful and Nicholas and I love finding out her character and personality. She smiles so easily and loves to laugh. She is so smart and wants to be involved in everything. She is inquisitive, curious, and strong willed. She is also very stubborn and gets frustrated when she doesn't get her way or can't do something right. I have already seen that she is a leader and does not like to have other kids tell her what to do or where to go. I have seen her be tender and loving. She is protective (of me especially). She is independent, playful, and wonderful in so many other ways.
I hope that Nicholas and I can lead her in the right direction and help her grow so that she reaches her potential and true character.
what a wonderful outing! i've been wanting to go to roosevelt island for a long time now! now i want to go even more!!!! you and nick are so wonderful for eliza! i can think of no better hands or home for her to thrive and develop and learn in.
ReplyDeleteI have never even been there. Maybe our next trip up we can go together. :)
ReplyDelete